It's vital for library staff to know our community and find ways to meet their needs. In this workshop, you will learn how to locate your town's demographic data and develop a deeper understanding of the cultural differences among ethnicities. We'll focus on ways to attract teens from diverse socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds to your library with quality programs and a welcoming atmosphere. Pham will work with libraries who select this workshop to help them choose three out of the five learning objectives below.
Participants will be able to:
- Access and analyze demographic and other census data for their community
- Develop quality programming to attract teens from all ethnic groups
- Establish a core collection of diverse materials and why the We need Diverse Books initiative is so important
- Create a toolbox of tips that will help you deal with micro-aggression in the library
- Explain the differences among the minority groups served by their library