This position is in the Information Technology Department, with a primary duty of webmaster and support duties in hardware and integrated library system (ILS) software.
While a technology background is preferred, the candidate does not need to have a technology-related degree or certifications. Candidates should have an interest in learning on the job, either through hands-on training, classes, or webinars. A comfort level using computers, websites, and common programs such as Microsoft Office is required of the candidate. Candidate should be physically able to lift up to 40 lbs and have a valid New Jersey driver’s license. Additionally, candidates should possess good communication skills, be willing to work in a team environment, be resourceful, willing/able to closely follow written directions, and possess an enthusiasm and curiosity about emerging technologies.
This is a 35-hours per week position and includes at least one evening per week; however, candidates must be flexible with regards to scheduling based on emergency needs of the department or system.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as the webmaster for the system public and staff website. This includes the creation and maintenance of both sites.
- Serving as the liaison to JerseyConnect regarding the website hosting platform.
- Working with SirsiDynix on the design and maintenance of the catalog website.
- Posting and updating the system blog on an ongoing basis.
- Updating and maintaining the Ebsco Full Text Finder holdings.
- Updating online listings and services such as public listings on Google and library programs on EventKeeper.
- The ability to use, and instruct staff how to use, software such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, photo editing software, and other products available for use by staff and patrons.
- Learn the administrative functionality of SirsiDynix Symphony and BlueCloud in order to assist staff and patrons.
- Troubleshoot computer hardware issues, such as printer jams and malfunctions.
- Conduct computer hardware repairs.
- Install, update, and troubleshoot software on system computers.
- Drive to the system branches to deliver, install, and repair hardware and software.
- Address patron support issues via email, phone, or in person.
- Conduct technology programming, such as one-on-one help and classes, for branches.
- Occasional reference or circulation desk coverage at the Lawrence Branch.
- All other duties not described or listed above, but designated by management.
The successful candidate must be able to attend and participate in system-wide committees and attend workshops in and out of the system. They must be open to maintaining contact and networking with community outside agencies and groups that can benefit the library. Effective communication with patrons and staff, and when responding to patron inquires, complaints or concerns, in person, writing and via email, is essential.
Qualifications: Minimum qualifications include a Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited school, and NJ Professional Librarian certificate. MLIS students who are enrolled in an ALA- accredited school program will also be considered.
A full job description can be found on the NJ Civil Service Commission website. The salary range for this title is $37,009 to $68,271.
The County of Mercer adheres to a strict residency requirement. Residents of Mercer County will be given first priority. Mercer County residency is required within one year of appointment. All applicants are subject to pre-employment tests: drug, physical and criminal background check.
Résumés may be submitted care of:
Ellen O'Shea Brown, Library Director
Mercer County Library System
Lawrence HQ Branch
2751 Brunswick Pike
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648