The purpose of the Mentors' Directory is to provide a list of library professionals and paraprofessionals who are willing to be a mentor to anyone who is seeking help in their professional development and/or to develop a network of colleagues. Anyone in the New Jersey & Maryland Library Community can be a mentor, and anyone can contact the mentors listed in the directory. Please note that this directory does not create matches nor does it maintain mentoring relationships.
- This list shows a summary version of "About Me" for each mentor. Please click the mentor's name or the 'Read more' text link to read the full "About Me".
- If you find a mentor who you think is a good match for you, please contact them by using "Contact person by email" link (Online Contact Form) below their name.
- Please share your experience with your mentor(s) with us, by using the Mentor/Mentee Feedback Form.
[ back to top ]
Mentors are a group of library professionals and paraprofessionals who are willing to share their knowledge and experiences with their colleagues.
- Mentors should be based in New Jersey or Maryland and have a user account on the LibraryLinkNJ’s website.
- Any librarians and paraprofessionals in New Jersey or Maryland, who want to volunteer to be a mentor.
- There is no minimum or maximum number of years of experience you must have to be part of the Mentors' network. If you are a new librarian who feels they are professionally ready to take on a mentee, you can do so. The only requirement is that you are able to help mentees and answer their questions.
You can list yourself in the directory by filling out the Mentors' Directory Form (log-in required). You will be asked to provide your name, library organization name, bio (self-introduction), and areas of your expertise, email address, and phone number.
- Your contact information is used only for administrative purposes and will not be shared on the public directory.
- For NJ Mentors: Would you like to participate in the MentorNJ Public Library Job Shadowing Program? Or, are you a current participant of the NJLA College and University Section Job Shadowing Program for Academic Library? Please indicate that when you fill out the Mentors' Directory Form (log-in required). If you are already listed as a mentor, simply update your mentor info! Please find out more information about the Job Shadowing Programs!
- You can also upload your photo, if you don’t mind! If you need any help with your photo upload, please contact Mi-Sun at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mentees can only contact you via an online contact form, and you will receive the mentee information (name, contact info, and their needs) via email. If you can mentor the person, please respond to the mentee directly. Please try to respond even if you cannot help, so that the mentee can contact other mentors.
- If you experience a good mentoring experience through this service, please feel free to share it by using the Mentor/Mentee Feedback Form!
- We ask mentors for a minimum commitment of one-year. This is only a recommendation. You can be a mentor for as long as you want.
- You are able to take your name off the directory temporarily or permanently, if you are unable to take on a mentee. Please see the instructions for "How to Update Your Mentor Information" below.
- Please log into your user account and click your name in the directory.
- Click “Edit” tab at the top of your information page.
- If you want to take your name off the directory temporarily, check the radio button for "Temporarily Inactive" under "Mentor Status" field. Your information will be removed the Mentors' Directory after you click "Save" button.
- When you can take on a mentee again, please go to the Inactive Mentors' List --- You have to log into your user account to view this list, as it is not visible to the public. Check "Currently Active" radio button under "Mentors Status" field. Your information will be listed on the Mentors' Directory again after you click "Save" button.
- Please be sure you click “Save” button at the bottom after you are done updating your information.
- If you want to remove your name from the directory permanently, please click the "Delete" button at the bottom.
- We have created a badge for all mentors that you can add to your email signature if you want! Please check the badge info!
[ back to top ]
Instructions for Maryland (MD) Mentors [ Also available in PDF ]
Are you a library staff member in the State of Maryland and would like to be a MentorLIB mentor? Please follow the instructions below.
Registering For a User Account on LibraryLinkNJ’s Website
Listing yourself on the MentorLIB Mentors’ Directory
[ back to top ]
- Mentees can be from anywhere.
- Librarians and paraprofessionals new to the profession or to the state who are looking for information about the New Jersey or Maryland Library Community and/or seek a mentor for their professional development and network.
- Librarians and paraprofessionals who are taking over new job responsibilities and need a mentor for their new responsibilities.
- Anyone who is interested in pursuing a library career in the state of New Jersey or Maryland.
- Anyone who wants to learn more about New Jersey and Maryland libraries.
- You can look through the directory and contact any mentor(s) if you feel may be a good match for your needs and professional goals.
- Use the contact form link for any mentor(s) you want to contact.
- If you are interested in working at a public or an academic library in New Jersey, please also check out the Job Shadowing Programs!
- The mentor you contact will get back to you.
- If you experience positive guidance with your mentor(s) through this service, please feel free to share it by using the Mentor/Mentee Feedback Form!
- The MentorLIB Directory is not a job search program. Please refer to NJ library resources for employment listings.
[ back to top ]