|LLNJ Code of Conduct in PDF|
LibraryLinkNJ (LLNJ), The New Jersey Library Cooperative, is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation. Its members are multi-type libraries and library-related agencies located in the twenty-one counties of New Jersey. LLNJ has over 1100 voting representatives from over 2,600 public and private school, public, academic, institutional, corporate, health sciences and special libraries and library-related agencies. A member-elected Executive Board meets regularly to oversee the programs and services of the organization.
LLNJ hosts an annual membership meeting, and sponsors a variety of forums, meetings and professional development opportunities both virtually and in-person. The purpose of these events is to provide opportunities for LLNJ members to connect, learn, grow, and attend to the business of the organization.
LLNJ adopts the New Jersey Association of School Librarians (NJASL) “Safe Spaces Statement”:
“This is a safe space for open, honest, and respectful communication. We acknowledge that our personal experiences, values, and opinions differ. Therefore, we honor the following ground rules for discussion in this group:
- We agree that everyone present in this meeting has equal worth and deserves to be heard.
- We agree to check our personal biases and refrain from making judgements about the words or actions of others.
- We agree to respect each other’s humanity. We forgive as needed and learn from our mistakes.
- We agree to utilize active listening and make it our goal to listen to understand.”
LLNJ does not tolerate harassment of members, attendees, staff, venue workers, speakers or other participants at any meetings or events we sponsor. We recognize a shared responsibility to create and maintain an environment based on mutual respect and free of harassment for the benefit of all. Participants may - and do - exercise their option to leave a session or a conversation. As a statewide organization that supports the work of libraries of all types in the State of New Jersey, the events sponsored by LLNJ are an extension of work and no person should work under the threat of harassment.
The following behaviors are encouraged by LLNJ:
- Check our personal biases
- Active and compassionate listening (be aware of how much you are talking versus listening and vice versa)
- Use “I” statements – speak from your own experiences rather than generalizing
- Keep an open perspective
In an effort to create an environment based on mutual respect and free of harassment, some behaviors are specifically prohibited. These include, but are not limited to:
- Stalking (physically or virtually)
- Harassment, including jokes or comments that target a person’s race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy), gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran status or disability. This includes questioning a person’s right to use the bathroom or other facilities based on these categories.
- Unwelcome attention or contact. This includes unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature.
- Assault and/or battery
- Sustained disruption of events
- Harassing or non-consensual photography or recording
All participants and presenters are expected to observe these rules and behaviors at all LLNJ meetings or events. Your attendance at an LLNJ meeting or event signals your willingness to comply with this Code of Conduct. Any breach of this code of conduct will result in an appropriate course of action including but not limited to:
- Verbal or written warning
- Expulsion from the event or meeting
- Exclusion from future events and/or meetings
- Revocation of membership
Anyone can report harassment. If someone’s behavior has made you uncomfortable, or if you witness the same happening to someone else, you should immediately contact an LLNJ staff person, Board member or Event/Meeting convener. The LLNJ webpage provides an email address and phone number for reporting code violations and all agendas, programs and contracts will include a link to that information. If a code violation is reported, we will ask the reportee for information regarding the code violation including where and when the incident occurred, who was involved, who may have witnessed the code violation and what action is being requested of LLNJ as a result of the report. If a reportee wishes to remain anonymous LLNJ will honor that request. Reportees should be aware, however, that an anonymous report may be difficult to substantiate or take action upon.
Any reports of code violations will be forwarded immediately to the LLNJ Executive Director, or designee, who will determine and carry out the appropriate course of action, and who may consult with and engage other LLNJ staff, Board members and legal counsel as appropriate. Site security and/or local law enforcement may be involved, as appropriate, based on the specific circumstances. A follow-up report will be made to individuals who report being harassed and a written summary of all such code violations will be made annually to the LLNJ Executive Board. The Executive Director, in consultation with the Executive Board, may develop additional procedures to implement this policy.
LLNJ staff, Executive Board and/or Meeting/Event conveners who receive reports of code violations are responsible for reporting the incident immediately to the Executive Director and documenting the report in writing and forwarding it to the Executive Director within 24 hours.
Actions that result in expulsion or exclusion from an event or revocation of LLNJ membership can be appealed in writing to the Executive Director. If relief is denied, a hearing may be requested in front of the Executive Board.
Approved by the LLNJ Executive Board - February 18, 2021
Revised February 16, 2023