Are you a current MLIS student in the New Jersey area who is interested in working in a public library? Or, are you a current library employee interested in exploring your career options in a public library setting? If so, please consider participating in the MentorNJ Public Library Job Shadowing Program! It is open to anyone who is interested in pursuing a library career at a public library in the State of New Jersey.
If you are a current MLIS student in the New Jersey area who has thought about working in an academic library, please consider participating in the NJLA College and University Section (CUS) Job Shadowing Program.
What is Job Shadowing Program?
The Job Shadowing Program facilitates one-day visits that provide you a chance to explore public librarianship outside of the classroom. Each job shadowing experience is different, but in general you should expect to spend a few hours visiting, interacting with, and observing a practicing librarian during his or her normal work day. This is a great opportunity to learn more about real-life librarianship and to become acquainted with librarians across the State of New Jersey.
How does it work?
- Go to the MentorNJ Mentors’ Directory.
Find mentors who are participating in the Job Shadowing Programs, by selecting one of the following options under “Job Shadowing Program” filter option.
- Yes - MentorNJ Public Library Job Shadowing Program
- Yes - NJLA College and University (CUS) Job Shadowing Program
- You can look through the participating mentors list and contact any mentor(s) if you feel the person is a good match for your needs and individual professional goals. Use the contact form link for any mentor(s) you would like to contact.
- The mentor you contacted will get back to you, and you can arrange the job shadowing day schedule with the mentor.
- For the NJLA CUS Job Shadowing Program, you can also fill out the online application to be matched with a mentor in a public library who has volunteered to be shadowed. The program coordinator will be in touch with you.
For more information about how to use Mentors’ Directory at: http://librarylinknj.org/MentorNJ/guidelines
Have question about the New Jersey Job Shadowing Programs?
Please contact one of the program coordinators:
- Mentor Public Library Job Shadowing Program:
NJLA CUS Academic Library Job Shadowing Program:
- Zara Wilkinson, Reference and Instruction Librarian, Rutgers University-Camden: email@example.com