By Steve Tetrault, NJASL
SchoolLibraryNJ is a LibGuide coordinated by Dr. Joyce Valenza, assembled with the assistance of member of the New Jersey Association of School Librarians (NJASL) who serve various grade ranges of students. The site provides a multitude of resources to help New Jersey librarians, students, educators, and parents!
- Students can find information on literacy tools, research skills, and basic information literacy, divided by grade levels.
- Parents will find educational tool tutorials, guidance for digital citizenship, and suggestions for helping students with research needs.
- School administrators will be able to locate help in understanding the importance of school librarians, and assistance with finding strong candidates to hire that can help support learners and educators effectively.
But the most extensive section by far is that for school librarians! It features nearly two dozen sections, including but not limited to:
- Various literacy and information resources
- AASL Standards
- Employment and job boards
- Virtual field trips
- A comprehensive JerseyClicks overview
And much more!
While the site was created with school librarians in mind, all NJ librarians - especially those who serve children and young adults - may want to take a peek at the valuable resources compiled there!
While the goal of the LibGuide is to offer support, particularly to those who do not have access to a school librarian, SLNJ does not replace actual school librarians. Indeed, the landing page of the site, as well as the home page of each sub-section, reminds users that a website is no replacement for the services of a certified school librarian.