- Libraries may request one subsidy a year. We use a fiscal year that runs July 1st to June 30th.
- Libraries are not limited to our Suggested Programs List.
- Libraries book programs directly with a vendor/consultant and are responsible for paying them, directly, as well.
- There is no minimum number of staff required to hold a program. BUT...
- The subsidy may not be used for an individual staff member’s continuing education.
- The subsidized program must be for the entire staff or for a specific group of library staff AND be designed to further one or more of the library’s strategic goals.
- We will provide a subsidy of up to $500 for each approved request, not to exceed the actual combined cost of the trainer’s fee and travel costs. Example: if the total cost of the program is $400, the subsidy will be $400.
- The LLNJ subsidy remains the same regardless of the topic and duration of the program you choose.
- The subsidy may be used only for the trainer/consultant’s speaking fee and reasonable travel costs. It may not be used for refreshments or other workshop support/logistics.
- On the Subsidy Request Form, you will be asked to provide specific information about your proposed workshop. See: How do we proceed for details.
- Submitting a request does not guarantee approval.
- Approval of the subsidy will be based on how well the information provided on the Subsidy Request Form meets subsidy parameters.
- We will accommodate as many requests as possible.
- Funds for this program are limited, so request early.
- Subsidy requests must be made at least 4 weeks in advance of the date of the program.
2. Who is eligible to participate?
The Professional Development Subsidy Program is open to all member libraries
Subsidy requests can be from:
- one library, including branches
- a county system
- members of a consortium
- several neighboring libraries combined
- a school district, a county-level NJASL Chapter, and from neighboring libraries or school districts
Important: Only one subsidy request per year. One subsidy per program.
The subsidy will be paid to the library upon completion of either the library director or program organizer has submitted the Professional Development Subsidy Program Certification/Evaluation.
- We do! You are NOT limited to workshops and trainers on the Suggested Programs List.
- If you choose from the Suggested Programs List, LLNJ has already negotiated standard speaking fee pricing for LLNJ member libraries.
- When discussing the program with the consultant/vendor, tell them that this is potentially an LLNJ subsidized program and if your request for a subsidy is approved, the negotiated standard speaking fee applies.
- Pricing for individual vendors on the recommended list is available upon request. Contact us at Email
- The LLNJ Subsidy remains the same regardless of the workshop topic and duration.
- Note: Consultants/vendors on are not held to the negotiated speaking fees for programs LLNJ does not subsidize.
If you are organizing your own staff development and would like recommendations of training providers, or just wish to discuss how to do staff development well, we are here to help you. Please contact us at Email.
We are happy to work with you on any aspect of your staff development. We encourage you to think broadly and creatively about learning experiences that will be mapped to your library’s strategic goals.
Your library will be responsible for the following:
- Contacting the consultant to discuss date, topic, content and length.
- Working with the consultant to tailor the content to your library’s needs.
- Booking the program directly with the training consultant/vendor. Telling the consultant/vendor that this is an LLNJ subsidized program and that the negotiated speaking fee applies.
- Paying the consultant/vendor.
- Providing the required presentation equipment (projector, laptop, etc.) and Internet connectivity for the program.
- Appointing a liaison for all contact with LibraryLinkNJ.
- Keeping LibraryLinkNJ informed of any changes to the program (i.e. date, time, content)
- Filling out an online program completion certification and evaluation for the LibraryLinkNJ office.
- Reporting the number of participants to LibraryLinkNJ.
LibraryLinkNJ will be responsible for:
- Receiving, reviewing and approving the subsidy request in a timely manner.
- Providing a workshop checklist template to help you plan the program and keep track of logistics.
- Maintaining contact with the library’s appointed liaison to ensure that all is proceeding as planned.
- Answering any questions about how to choose and conduct a successful program.
- Paying the subsidy to the library. See: “Subsidy”.
- Choose from the Suggested Programs List or…
- Seek out a topic and a specific training vendor of your own.
- You cannot apply for a subsidy with only a subject in mind. You need to provide the title, topic and the vendor’s information.
- Please complete the Professional Development Subsidy Request Form no later than Friday, April 19, 2024.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Member libraries must obtain a full cost estimate -- including the speaking fee and travel costs -- from their preferred trainer prior to submitting a Subsidy Request.
- Submitting a subsidy request does not guarantee approval. We will review the information provided and get back to you in a timely manner.
- What you should have ready to fill out the form:
- Projected date the program will be held - this must be at least four weeks from the date you submit the request.
- Program title
- Name of vendor
- If the program you choose is not from the Suggested Program List, provide a description of the program.
- Location where the program will be held
- Number of anticipated participants
- List of libraries other than yours that are participating, if applicable
- Total cost of speaker’s fee and travel costs
- The library’s specific strategic goal(s) the program will address
- The subsidy may not be used for one individual’s continuing education.
- The subsidized program must be for a specific set of library staff AND be designed to fulfill one or more of the library’s strategic goals.
- You must hold your LLNJ subsidized staff development program by Friday, May 17, 2024.
- Request early to ensure your participation.
If you have any questions, please contact us at Email.