Sign up to be an advocate for LibraryLinkNJ here:
To keep member libraries up to date on both the current state and potential future of LibraryLinkNJ’s budget and services, we are hosting virtual town hall meetings each month through March 2019.
Dates for all future meetings are listed below. All meetings will run from 11 am to 12 noon. We will notify you via email blast that registration is open at least one week in advance of each meeting.
May 23, 2019
- Registration will open on May 16
[ back to top ]
As you know, LibraryLinkNJ is facing a budget crisis that threatens our continued existence. Under our current budget, we project that we’ll have to start laying off staff at the end of December 2018 and dissolve entirely by the end of June 2019.
That’s not what we want, and we know it’s not what you want.
We want to be around for years to continue to provide the services you rely on -- statewide delivery, continuing education, funding for innovation projects -- to improve the services you provide to your community members.
Many of you have offered to help advocate on behalf of LibraryLinkNJ.
Can we quote you on that?
The LibraryLinkNJ staff and Executive Board are developing a series of simple, specific actions for you to take in the coming weeks and months.
Right now, we need you to do just one thing: tell us how LibraryLinkNJ has made a difference in your own career, or better still, at your library.
Does a specific workshop or webinar stand out in your memory as a professional turning point? Did your library win funding under one of our innovation projects? Tell us all about it using this Advocate Form.
We’re looking for detailed, specific reflections on the value LibraryLinkNJ services adds to your library’s work in your community.
We’ll be in touch again soon. Thank you so much or your support!
Seriously, sincerely: thank you.
On behalf of your LibraryLinkNJ Team,
Kathy Schalk-Greene, Executive Director
Ranjna Das, Executive Board President and Director, Burlington County Library System
[ back to top ]
- LibraryLinkNJ: Fast Facts in PDF
- Fast Facts: CE
- Fast Facts: Delivery
- Fast Facts: Innovation Projects
LibraryLinkNJ, The New Jersey Library Cooperative, is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Our 2,600+ member organizations are the public, school, academic, and special libraries of the State of New Jersey. Our services are funded by the New Jersey State Library, which is responsible for the coordination, promotion, and funding of the New Jersey Library Network.
What We’re Working On Right Now:
- We’ve requested support from NJLA’s Public Policy Committee and Executive Board. The NJLA Executive Board will be discussing the matter at their June 19 meeting, at the offices of MAIN Library Consortium at 16 Wing Drive, Suite 212, Cedar Knolls, NJ 07927
- We continue to work with our colleagues at the NJ State Library, who have provided an additional one-time budget supplement of $85,000 plus $8,060 in additional funds.
- Approaching our fellow statewide library organizations for their support
What You Can Do:
- Sign up to be an advocate for LibraryLinkNJ - we’ll get the word out to you via brief, regular email blasts
- Talk to your current and incoming NJLA Officers and Executive Board members about how important LibraryLinkNJ is to your career development, your library services, and to the healthy operation of New Jersey’s multi-type library ecosystem
- Talk with colleagues at your home library, too!
[ back to top ]
As the state’s leading multi-type library organization, LibraryLinkNJ offers a variety of unique, high-value services to our 2,600 member libraries, and through them, to all New Jerseyans.
Continuing Education for Library Staff
Every year, LibraryLinkNJ offers low-cost, high-quality continuing education opportunities to staff at member libraries statewide.
During our 2016-2017 service year, 3,387 colleagues statewide participated in LibraryLinkNJ continuing education opportunities face-to-face and online.
Our portfolio of events designed to help library staff at every level move their careers forward includes:
- Webinars on the latest trends in librarianship
- Self-paced training via Lynda.com
- Super Library Supervisor
- Project Management
- Facilitation Skills
- Library Programmers’ Jamboree
LibraryLinkNJ also funds On-Site/On-Demand training subsidies to help member libraries host their own half-day and full-day workshops, and supports continuing education efforts with funding for professional library organizations, including:
- New Jersey Library Association
- VALE: Virtual Academic Library Environment
- New Jersey Association of School Librarians
- HSLANJ: Health Science Library Association of New Jersey
- Special Libraries Association: New Jersey Chapter
- Special Libraries Association: Princeton-Trenton
- New Jersey Association of Library Assistants
- Documents Association of New Jersey
LibraryLinkNJ has always been a leader in the area of innovation in libraries of all types, often co-funding competitive contract award programs with the New Jersey State Library.
NJ Libraries On The Go: Funding mobile apps and mobile websites
New Jersey Library Makerspaces: The Leading Edge
Social Media Consultations: customized analysis and recommendations for member libraries’ presences on platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
Powering Up: Library Charging Stations: Funding for libraries to purchase secure mobile device charging stations
Rent-a-Consultant: Defraying the cost of hiring a library consultant for targeted service improvements
Statewide Library Delivery
Statewide Library Delivery is an excellent example of shared services among state and local government agencies including the New Jersey State Library, LibraryLinkNJ, and over 400 libraries throughout the state, positively affecting the lives of residents in New Jersey.
This snapshot of the value of Statewide Library Delivery highlights its excellent return on the investment of taxpayer dollars:
Participating Libraries By Type:
[ back to top ]
- Spring Membership Meeting Update
- May 30, 2018: LibraryLinkNJ Virtual Town Hall: FY19 Budget
- May 23, 2018: Urgent FY19 Budget Update For All LibraryLinkNJ Members
- LibraryLinkNJ Virtual Town Hall Meetings: June 8, 2018: The meeting recording is available
[ back to top ]